The Frequently Asked Questions about DISCUS Connect
- Is there a way to try out DISCUS Connect?
- Is DISCUS Desktop required before using DISCUS Connect?
- Is there an additional charge for DISCUS Connect and the iTDP Server?
- What are the DISCUS Connect-iTDP Server installation approaches?
- What is the architecture of the Connect-iTDP Server?
- How does DISCUS Desktop connect and communicate to the iTDP Serve?
- What are the configuration requirements for DISCUS Connect and the iTDP Server?
Yes. Similar to all DISCUS, you can try DISCUS Connect before buying. Contact DISCUS Sales to learn more about the trial and evaluation process.
Yes, while DISCUS Connect can work with a variety of third party software tools, at the present time it is really optimized to work seamlessly with DISCUS Desktop.
Yes. There is a separate license fee for DISCUS Connect and the iTDP Server.
There are two installation approaches for a DISCUS Connect system. It can be: 1) installed internally on one of your servers that is always available and accessible to users running DISCUS Desktop and/or browsers, or 2) a cloud-based system that is hosted by DISCUS Software Company.
DISCUS Connect and the iTDP Server consist of three software applications working together: a front-end Web Server (DISCUS Connect), an Application Server for the business logic (the iTDP Server), and a Database Server for storing the information. The configuration is very scalable, and depending upon the quantity of users, all three software applications can reside on one hardware server. Alternatively, for a larger quantity of users, the software applications can be split across multiple hardware servers to support a very scalable environment.
DISCUS Desktop, DISCUS Connect, and other business systems communicate with the iTDP Server using industrial-strength RESTful web services.
DISCUS Connect and the iTDP Server use business-proven but very economical tools for the Prerequisite Software:
- Apache Tomcat 7.X (used for the DISCUS Connect and iTDP Server software)
- MySQL 5.X (used as the database for the iTDP Server)
- Java JRE 6.X